Wednesday, December 11, 2013

IMMUNOTHERAPY and other stuff


A Michigan Fall
 
When I am home alone, which is most of the time, I have an evening routine.  I ride my stationary bike for 30 minutes, thus pretending to stay in shape.  Then I watch the BBC news, while imbibing a vodka and tonic.  Next I fix dinner, then sit down to eat it.  While eating I like to watch a TV program from On Demand, which – as most of you probably know – records certain popular shows for watching later.  Until recently this has worked out well, because it takes me about 44 minutes to eat dinner and that happens to be the length of an hour-long TV show – divested of commercials.  Lately, however, they have been fixing the shows I like to watch so that you HAVE to watch the ads – Fast Forward disabled.  Thus the show lasts a full hour, and I rarely stick around for the conclusion.  It follows that, since I usually watch cop dramas, I never find out who done it.  A small thing, but irritating.
The worst of the ads I am forced to walk features a well-known black movie star, whose name escapes me at the moment, urging me to use the Capital One credit card.  So why is this important?  Because, when I tried to watch the video that accompanies the link I am about to describe to you, I first had to watch that same damned commercial!  So, click on the link given below, but skip the video.
The article concerns a boy who entered a clinical trial studying an immunotherapy response to a type of leukemia that was killing him.  The trial, conducted at the University of Pennsylvania, studies the effects of removing T cells from the patient’s body and somehow “re-programing” them to attack cancer cells.  So far it seems to be successful.  T-cells are a part of the immune arsenal, and I have written about this kind of therapy before.  It holds excellent promise for the future.  Let’s all hope the poor kid doesn’t relapse.
I was alerted to this article by faithful reader Parkfriend.  Parkfriend lives in Canada, and has done so for many years.  She is an American by birth and education, but has taken on a Canadian persona to the extent that she now wastes vowels in such words as honorable, and (no doubt) pronounces “strength” as if it rhymes with “tenth”.  Strong medicine, that Canadian culture – don’t visit  too often!
Sorry, Parkfriend – just kidding.
 


1 comment:

  1. Always cool to see a treatment that works. Hopeful and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete