Monday, December 9, 2013

TO WALK IN BEAUTY


Our Mexico trip, 2010
 

This isn’t really about ovarian cancer at all, nor is it an attempt to be funny.  I have been studying Navajo culture for a few months, ever since I returned from Kristen’s place in Flagstaff.  “Studying” so far consists of re-reading all the Tony Hillerman Leaphorn-Chee novels.  I have ordered a few more serious books; they lie there on the coffee table looking at me accusingly.  When I finish Hillerman I promise to give them a try.  But, I am lazy.  It’s my right; I’m an old fart.
The purpose of this blog is to share something I have gradually come to realize.  Hillerman relates how the Navajo Way consist of “walking in beauty”.  I don’t pretend to understand that; all my life I have “walked” in a constant state of competitiveness and inner turmoil.  But last night I realized that “walking in beauty” exactly describes Linda.  I’m not going to try to elaborate: you who knew her well will understand.  Even when she contracted ovarian cancer she continued on, in beauty.  There wasn’t a Sing that could save her, nor any trick of modern medicine.  But she continued.  The world really is a darker place, now that she is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment