Friday, August 10, 2018

Florence DiJulio July 23, 2011



In working to add photographs and captions to Linda's "Quilting Legacy" album, I began to reflect on her personal legacy: her capacity for friendship. She accepted us for who we are. She was empathic and had a way of being with others that made us feel valued, cared for, and respected. She shared freely of herself. She was kind. She possessed a wisdom far beyond her years. I could count on her to tell me what I needed to hear. And, sometimes I actually sought out her opinion for that very reason! Linda had a refinement to her; she was always polite and well-spoken. How do I encapsulate over 20 years of friendship? Not easily. We shared a love of quilting, travel, our respective hospital careers, reading, an occasional movie, and more. These interests led to retreats, the 2002 quilt tour to Amish country in Pennsylvania, quilt shop hops, guild activities, margueritas at El Gitano after a particularly difficult day at work, and visits to Borrego Springs where she showed me the camel teeth she found in Anza Borrego Desert State Park (still in situ, of course). I cherish the memories of our times together. She is greatly missed. My heartfelt condolences to Myrl, Carolyn, the extended family and all her other friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment