Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Raelyn Joyce July 25, 2011




Raelyn Joyce
Jun 25, 2011 at 7:56:04 PM
I feel deep gratitude for having had Linda as my sister-in-law. I'm reminded of her everywhere I look in my home, for as Kristin Beck pointed out, she loved gift-giving and finding just the right gift for someone. The earrings I wore two days ago, the gourd calendar I checked this morning, the soft woven set of baskets from small to large from Mexico, the handsome fabric bag I take on trips, and the elegant but slightly worn quilted runner on our dining table came from Linda (and Myrl). She made our three young grandsons small, brightly colored quilts that they cuddle with every night.
Richard, her brother, and I first visited her when she was living in San Mateo, California, and we visited her, later with our young children, in almost every place she lived in after that, following her to Bellingham, Washington, where she made her home with Myrl. She was always welcoming and hospitable, and treated us with what Myrl described as her characteristic "unfailing kindness." The last time I saw her was last December, after Richard and I spent a wonderful Christmas with her and Myrl. She was feeling relatively well and was enjoying food again then. The soft, warm, tight embrace she gave when we said goodbye I remember and cherish!  At her mother's memorial service in Kalamazoo, Linda, speaking about her mom, said that her mom taught her children the Golden Rule. Linda, as well as any person I know, lived the Golden Rule. Thank you, Myrl and Carolyn, for your devoted. loving care of Linda, especially when we couldn't be there to help.



No comments:

Post a Comment